Sunday 13 September 2015

A Good Name

The sky above was so high nobody could reach it. The stars above were so bright nobody could compete with it. The ground below was so rigid nobody could be as strong as it. A cornucopia of thoughts entered my oh so little mind. Much to my chagrin, I was told I previously suffered from memory loss. I don’t know who I am; I am in a state of bedlam. The uneasy feeling of anguish and chronic thoughts rapidly seeped through my blood stream.

My journey to self-discovery begins today. My journey is to assuage my desire for knowledge. I confabulated with my mother, she reminded me of basic details of myself. She began with my name. “Tala,” she muttered. I asked her to stop there. Tala? I decided to take a walk. I walked outside and admired the midsummers night sky. The sky was pitch black, yet the stars still sparkled. I walked through the not so dense vegetation of the Arabian desert. I was surrounded by young palm trees. The greenery of the branches suffused with color. I thought about my name as I strolled through the desert. Tala is a name of Arab origins. It holds my ethnicity and culture. Is it an Islamic name? I guess so. In my mother tongue language, Arabic as indicated by the origins of my name, Tala means a little palm tree. In Tagalog it means star. My name embraces scintillating meanings. I slowly recalled small details about my name, just by my mother telling it to me.

A person’s name holds their master identity. The derivative of my identity is my name; it is a seed, which burgeoned into who I am today. I realized when one’s name is lost, so is their identity. My authenticity grows and flourishes from the seeds, the seeds being my name. I began to remember small details about myself as I investigated my name. On the contrary to the beginning of my journey, a feeling of catharsis approached my system. I’m slowly redefining myself, through my name. I grew with this name, and will continue to prosper with it. My name will mark my successes, coupled with my failures. My name will not carry an abortive reputation, despite my calamities.

If you lose your name, you lose your identity…


3 comments:

  1. Wow. That was beautifully written. You set the scenery of the desert so well that I felt like I was transported there myself. The little bit at the end sums up your post nicely too. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. Your creative response is very well crafted and was a pleasure to read. I really like the line "I'm slowly redefining myself. through my name. I grew with this name, and will continue to prosper." This idea really connects with how our identity is always evolving and that our name can reflect this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Tala, your writing is very entertaining to read; in fact I often find my self reading it over and over. Your writing style is impeccable and your use of complex vocabulary is so effortless, weaved into the heart of your blog posts. Well done, always a pleasure, forever an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete